Monday, June 25, 2007

Mombasa

We arrived safely in Mombasa after our first proper bus journey. I really enjoyed just watching the landscape pass by, spotting all the mad looking trees - Africa really does have some mad looking trees.

There's not much to see or do in Mombasa, and an afternoon pretty much covered it - Fort Jesus is pretty impressive though I suppose (and we did stumble across a really cool Swahili coffee house place). The main reason for travelling back through Mombasa though was the train journey back to Nairobi. Apparently it's one of the few great train journeys left in the world, although it's overnight, so you don't get to see much! In first class you get a two-berth cabin, which was cosy, and a full dinner and breakfast. I'm sure in it's day it was the height of luxury, but now it's all a bit tatty, with chipped china and lukewarm soup, but it was still a great experience to sit down to 'fine dining' on a train in Africa. In fact I had a fantastic night's sleep - I've been on a few sleeper trains in Europe and haven't slept well, but this train was lovely and quite (probably 'cos it was so slow).

So we arrived back in Nairobi nicely refreshed and headed to the railway museum.

5 comments:

Podge said...

Pat, a suggestion for you... have you seen the new "My Maps" feature on Google Maps? You can set up a map with pin points. Would be a good way to track where you are. Must say I had to look up Mombasa. Could be interesting i a few months to see the array of pin points and lines that is your trip.

carol f-m said...

would you ever stop writing the travelogue and get down on your bended knee to that woman.........there's none of us getting any younger you know!!!!

dermdaly said...

Sheez...The pressure is coming from all angles. All in your own time Pat!

I've seen mention of Sara's blog for the way to get another perspective on your trip. can't you include a link to it (oh yeah..you don't know how to use hyperlinks yet.)

Anyway, the only way I found your blog was a link from Mullin's one. Shouldn't you do the same for your good lady?

Enjoying the reading by the way.

Dermot.

Jane said...

Wow...sounds like you're having an amazing time. Isobel told me that you're away travelling again and I couldn't resist having a look at your 'blog' I hope you don't mind. It makes a good read! Anyway, safe travelling. Jane x

PMcB said...

Carol, I thought you'd given all that up YEARS ago, but I see I'm mistaken.

Yeah, thanks for that Dermot, but it's already a major pain in the arse using the internet in these places without the extra hassle of adding bleedin' hyperlinks (I haven't even attempted to add photos yet, jasus just the thought of that process is giving me a headache).