Friday, February 8, 2008

Wines and all that

On our way to Stellenbosch we passed through another famous wine region called Franschhoek, which is also famous for it's many high-class restaurants (apparently they proudly protect and nurtue their French traditions). I had a peek-a-boo at most of the ones listed as 'famous' and indeed they all looked extremely inviting indeed. Although we were only passing through, we did stop at what looked like one of the fanciest places of all, the Franschhoek Country House & Villas, and I had coffee and cake (I was tempted to go for a swim in their pool, but time was moving on).

Its definitely a place I'd like to spend a few days just eating my head off though - it would be expensive for sure, so that will have to go on the 'extravagant luxury' list I think.

So we continued on to the really famous wine region of Stellenbosch (even I knew that this was a famous wine producing region of South Africa). Its a nice town I suppose, although it's a bit too big and touristy really. Lots of tour buses bussing elderly wine-types about the place, but it does have a few places with genuine character (like the mad old shop Oom Samie se Winkel). We stayed at the Stumble Inn in the centre of the town, from where the very friendly staff (who we kinda hung around with for a bit), organised our obligatory wine tour of the region with Easy Riders.

Apparently, Easy Riders have been running these tours for eons, and I must say they were very, very good. Our guide was excellent and a really nice guy, and the wineries we visited were all very impressive. I learnt a lot on that tour, but of course, just like everyone else, forgot 95% of it by the next day. Still, I'd recommend it as it was a great day out.

The following day I strolled about the town checking out a museum or two, a nice gallery (with a beautiful, but rather disturbing art exhibition), the botanical gardens and a couple of cool bars and cafes. So like I said, its a nice town, but I think I'd rather veg-out in the smaller and quieter Franschhoek if I had a choice.

So from Stellenbosch we headed South towards the Cape Peninsula and the naval town of Simon's Town.

1 comment:

annie said...

fantastic down there eh!