Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Pottering about Ubud

For the next few days we both just pottered about Ubud really. I was going to rent a bike and explore the environs, but in the end I just couldn't be bothered, as it's quite hilly around Ubud and I was just feeling a tad lazy.

The first day we walked the couple of kilometers to a famous restaurant, Mozaic. Apparently it's rated by some as the best restaurant in Indonesia. It was nicely decorated, but nothing special really, but after looking at the prices we decided it was too steep at this late stage in the trip (US$65-US$120 per person without drinks). So instead, I had a quick look at the nearby Neka Museum (I just strolled through the shop into the museum, thereby bypassing the ticket-desk, while Sarah waiting outside too afraid of getting 'caught').  Then we just crossed the road to check out another well know place, Naughty Nuri's. We had to try their famous martini, but it seemed to me to be pure gin and therefore disgusting. But the spare ribs we tried where probably the best I've ever tasted (not that I try ribs often).

Next day I used the internet for a good bit and then checked out a few more of the town's cool cafes. We booked a local specialty of smoked duck in the cool local restaurant beside our hotel (Dewa Warung), which we had late afternoon the following day before getting the shuttle bus to the airport for our 9:30pm flight back to Kuala Lumpur.

So all-in-all it was just a nice few days relaxing, reading and strolling about Ubud before the long 2-day, 3-flight journey home.

No comments: