Monday, November 19, 2007

Durban Town

So parts of Durban city are quite nice I suppose, although we didn't really linger long (and the centre didn't seem to have much to offer once night fell, as the long beachfront becomes dangerous). We spent a great day at the Ushaka Aquarium though, one of the largest and most modern in the world. It was brilliantly laid out I have to say and of course I could have stayed there all day. Sarah got to see her first dolphin and seal shows, both quite impressive of course (although they don't have a killer whale show like in California's Sea World!).

Durban is famous for an Indian fast-food delicacy called Buni-Chow, but we actually had a hard time finding a place that had any (I finally had one later in Port Elizabeth and it was quite nice, and a tad novel I suppose). The guidebook had mentioned a place along the beachfront, and so after a beer at the famous surfer-watching bar of 'Joe Kools' we went strolling around looking for it, but couldn't find it. It was starting to get dark and we did look conspicuously like clueless tourists wandering about aimlessly when out of the blue this local girl jogging along the promanade passes from behind us and very casually says, 'They are about to rob you!'.

She didn't even look at us, so I wasn't sure that she was talking to us, and looking around I didn't see anything obvious. She kinda stopped jogging just in front of us and told us, again not looking at us at all, that she had just overheard a couple of guys behind us and that they were moving in to rob us. This time I had a proper look behind, and indeed two dodgey looking lads were a fair bit behind us, and did appear to be kinda stalking us. I thanked the girl profusely and moved along pretty sharpish, whilst trying to keep an eye on the lads, as they continued to follow us. Then we broke into a bit of a trot back to the car, only a little nervously of course, and went straight back home. It was probably a lucky escape, although I suppose we'll never know for sure what might have happened.

Our backpackers (Gibela Backpackers Lodge) was a lovely place, one of the nicest in SA really, and it was situated nice and close to Florida Road, one of Durban's main night spots. I spent another day strolling around the local parks, one of which (Mitchell Park) has a pretty cool little zoo with loads of playful marmosets that had me mesmerised.

But after a few days it was time to move on again (after I'd inadvertently burnt the outline of a mozzy coil into the varnish of the bedside table!), and I headed south to try some more diving at another famous dive site - Aliwal Shoal.

No comments: