Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Heading North

So from the gorillas in the far South-West we decided to try and head North to Murchison Falls, another scenic highlight of Uganda. But first I decided it would be worth stopping off at a recommended lake which was only a few kilometers out of the way, and would serve to break up the very long journey north. So we got to Lake Bunyonyi after a bit of messing around with shuttle bus operators and taxi drivers, and bygod was it worth it. It really is a spectacular setting and we got a lovely place to stay with a self-contained little cottage on a hillside overlooking the lake itself.

We ended up staying here for three nights as it was just so relaxing, and had an incredible profusion of birdlife (and birdsong of course). We hired a dug out canoe one day and just headed out into the lake, stopping off at two little islands for a bit of exploring and a spot of light lunch (the second island had a lovely resort with an incredible setting for it's restaurant, so naturally a cool beer was supped there).

Another day I hired a motorbike (moped really), as I couldn't get a decent bicycle (all the bikes here are made of iron or something and regularly used to transport entire families or entire banana trees). Again I was a bit worried by a 'new' experience, as I haven't driven a motorbike of any description in years, and the roads there were pretty steep, badly rutted dirt tracks. But after a bit I was grand and we had a bit of an explore in the neighbouring town, Kabale which made a nice change from the lake.

The following day we hit the trail again and headed further North to the town of Mbarara, hoping to get from there to Murchison Falls (a direct line on our guidebook map), but of course that didn't quite work out.

8 comments:

Podge said...

That mention of a bicycle reminds me... still haven't heard from your bike repair guy in Dublin. Who are they and I will give them a call?

Probably have it sold off now...

Enda said...

Pat, dont forget to have pints for my 40th on Monday!!!!!! I'll be tinkin of ya.... and hopefully see you over here nexy year.... i could be back hom for the month of May... so let me know when your planning.........

Enda said...

dat was me Pat.....
Enda.

Enda said...

I mean the Flyn blog.......

PMcB said...

Hi Enda, yeah I gathered you Flyn wasn't quite that advanced yet and that you might be giving him a hand!

Have a great birthday on Monday, hopefully I'll be safe and sound in Harare by then, sipping a beer with Mark Kane by his pool!

seanmullins said...

No update in 3 weeks - whats the story??

raimy69 said...

Pat, where are ya?????? Don't be going worrying us all with no updates!

Enda said...

Pat me auld china... we're heading back to Melb.. Brisbane is tooo boring... hope to be back my xmas 07... let me your eta for Oz... we'll be in dublin May 07 for Flyns birthday......

hope all is well.. no special announcements yet........????

bring the Kane chap with you to Oz..... I have a new space invaders game for him.. ha ha:))